Today I had someone tell me they were putting on a “brave face.” While I am also uneasy in this time of uncertainty, I responded that I appreciated it, but I didn’t need them to for my benefit. If they had emotions that were contradictory to the “brave face” I would rather hear about those real feelings over the fake face. I also explained how sometimes we have to dig very deep inside of ourselves to find that hope and courage.
But how do we dig deep for hope and courage? Here are a few tips:
- Feel and express the emotions you are having, get them out into the world
- Take action, even if that means moving when you want go hide under the covers – do the opposite of what your fear is telling you to do
- Use affirmations like: I am courageous, I am strong, I am powerful, I am brave.
- Remember the last time you experienced fear and what happened, how did you overcome?
- Be grateful for the little things
- Help others less fortunate
This is not easy. You, unfortunately, can’t just turn on hope or courage. You have to find it and believe in yourself.